Skip to main content

There's Nobody Else Around, Kid


My mother is eighty-six and has been a marriage and family therapist for more than forty years.

This week she was on a call with me, talking to a group about relationships, and she said something I want to write down before it gets away.

If you feel unloved, give what you need to get.

Not ask for it. Not wait for it. Give it.

If you’re starved for affection, be affectionate. If nobody’s listening to you, go find somebody and listen to them. If what you want is patience, go be patient with someone.

I asked her what that actually looks like, because a line like that can float off if you let it.

She said: open my heart instead of sitting there waiting for him to go first. Let myself be vulnerable. Look at where the pain hit and what I need to heal and where I’m afraid.

Then she said the thing.

She and my father were married almost sixty-three years. He died four years ago.

And she told that room, on a live call, that she still catches herself reaching to blame him.

It’s habitual, she said. And that’s when you go, oops, there’s nobody else around, kid.

I laughed. Everybody laughed. And then I sat with it for the rest of the day.

Because think about what she just admitted.

Forty years of helping other people untangle their marriages. Sixty-three years inside one of her own. A woman who has taught this material to thousands of people, including me.

Still doing it. In an empty house. To a man who isn’t there.

She didn’t say it as a confession. She said it as instruction.

We have a bad idea about what getting better looks like.

We think the pattern eventually goes away. That there’s a version of us up ahead who doesn’t reach for the blame, doesn’t get defensive, doesn’t go quiet when it matters.

That’s not what happens.

What happens is the gap shortens. You still reach. You just catch yourself sooner. First it takes a year. Then a week. Then an afternoon. Then, eventually, you catch it while your hand is still in the air.

That’s the whole progress. Not the absence of the pattern. The speed of the catch.

And my mother, at eighty-six, after all of it, is catching it in about two seconds and then laughing at herself.

I’ll take that. That’s a good place to be aiming.

So here’s what I’m doing with this.

Pick the thing you’re hungry for right now. Attention. Kindness. Someone being glad to see you.

Give it to somebody today. Not the person you wish would give it to you. Anybody.

Then notice what it does in your own chest.

Because you experience love whether you’re giving it or receiving it. Your nervous system doesn’t sort out which direction it came from.

Being loving is the closest thing there is to being loved. And it’s the only one you fully control.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Vortex Energy Real? A Soul Guide’s Honest Take After 30 Years in Sedona

  I first came to Sedona in 1990, long before it became a spiritual buzzword. Back then, the red rocks called to me the way a waterfall does—something bigger, older, and wiser than words. Locals spoke about “vortexes” the way you’d talk about the wind. Not to impress anyone. Just to point toward something you could feel . They told me the shape and mineral makeup of the land caused the Earth’s natural magnetic and electric energy to swirl in these places. Not in a spooky way—just like tuning forks or resonant chambers. If you were out of alignment, you might feel it like a jolt or a rush. But if you were in tune with the frequency? You’d just feel still. Like peace had pulled up a chair. Over the years, I’ve seen thousands come here searching for clarity, healing, release, or just a reason to breathe deeper. And while science has yet to “prove” vortexes are real, I’ve also never seen a peer-reviewed study on love. Doesn’t mean it’s not real. I’m not here to convince anyone. I’m...

The 20's Could Be Your Best Decade Yet

What do you want to create in your life over the next 10 years?   Are you in search of more love, more abundance, more fun, more adventure, enlightenment?   What holds you back?   Have you chosen your theme for 2020 yet?   "2020 is my year of _____" .   It all begins with setting intentions.Here in Sedona we start every Soul Adventure with a Powerful Intention and light a candle.   When our clients get real about what they’re intending to create by their experience in Sedona the magic begins.   By the time we see them on their last day most have not only achieved their intended goals but surpassed them and surprised themselves along the way. Now is the time to set your intentions for 2020 or the entire decade if you wish.   You may want to actually write them down. Studies have shown that written goals are far more likely to be met than the ones we just think to ourselves.   Take a moment before the new year arrives ...

June 23, 2019 Judgments are Toxic to the love joy and happiness in your life.

Whenever I tell myself anything should be different than it is or think that someone shouldn’t be the way they are. I will feel pain.   Resistance equals pain and when I resist what is I hurt.   So often I find my clients and sometimes myself habitually in a loop of resistance and negativity.   It’s like drinking poison and waiting for the person I’m judging to get sick. It doesn’t work and the more poison I swallow or the more I resist what is the sicker I get.   So why is it that we choose such a failed strategy over and over again?   I think there may be something addictive about the pain and suffering that comes from resistance. My grandfather used to say “It’s not what happens to you in life, it’s what you do with what happens to you that counts.”   My parents like to say that “the world is fundamentally neutral and that our judgements determine how we feel and perceive everything.’ The moment I say “You shouldn’t be that way!” ...