Skip to main content

The Answer Is In The Word

 


Somebody you love is upset.


And there's this thing that happens, almost automatically, before you've decided anything. You start explaining why they don't have to feel that way.


It's not that bad. Here's another way to look at it. This will pass. It's going to be fine. Let me tell you three reasons this isn't worth getting upset about.


You're being helpful. You genuinely are. You want them to stop hurting, and you can see a way out, so you hand it to them.


And it never works.


I've watched this in a lot of rooms over a lot of years, and I have never once seen the other person say, oh, thank you, that changes everything, I feel completely different now.


What actually happens is they get louder. Or they go quiet and cold. Either way, something got worse rather than better, and you have no idea why, because you were trying to help.


Here's what I think is going on.


The answer is sitting right there in the word.


Feelings are to be felt.


That's the whole instruction. It's not a metaphor. A feeling is a wave of energy moving through a body, and it has one job, which is to be experienced. Once it's truly felt, it's done. It shifts. It lightens. It passes.


But when you rush in with a fix, you block the wave.


And a blocked wave doesn't disappear. It builds. It goes looking for another way out. That's why the conversation escalates, and why a small thing turns into a large thing at eleven at night, and why two people end up arguing about something neither of them cares about.


The energy needed somewhere to go, and you put a door in front of it with the best intentions in the world.


So what do you do instead.


Help them feel it.


That's the assignment, and it's much smaller than the one you were giving yourself.


Tell me more about that.


Then listen. Actually listen, not listen while assembling your response. And then say some of it back to them, in their words rather than yours.


Here's a practice, and I mean this literally. For the next week, listen to people well enough that you could repeat their last three words back.


Try it. It's harder than it sounds, because they keep talking and now there are three new words, and then three more. It forces you to stay present in a way that almost nothing else does.


And when you do say it back, something happens in the other person's face. They feel heard. Sometimes for the first time in a long while.


One more thing, and it's the part that surprises people.


When somebody actually feels heard, they usually talk themselves down. Not always, but often. They'll say, I know it's not that big a deal, I'm just tired. They arrive at your fix on their own, and it sticks, because it's theirs.


They could only get there because nobody was pushing them.


You didn't have to solve anything. You just had to not block the wave.


I'll leave you with the thing I actually want you to remember.


You are not responsible for making the people you love feel better.


You are responsible for being someone they can feel things in front of.


Those are very different jobs, and the second one is easier and worth more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Vortex Energy Real? A Soul Guide’s Honest Take After 30 Years in Sedona

  I first came to Sedona in 1990, long before it became a spiritual buzzword. Back then, the red rocks called to me the way a waterfall does—something bigger, older, and wiser than words. Locals spoke about “vortexes” the way you’d talk about the wind. Not to impress anyone. Just to point toward something you could feel . They told me the shape and mineral makeup of the land caused the Earth’s natural magnetic and electric energy to swirl in these places. Not in a spooky way—just like tuning forks or resonant chambers. If you were out of alignment, you might feel it like a jolt or a rush. But if you were in tune with the frequency? You’d just feel still. Like peace had pulled up a chair. Over the years, I’ve seen thousands come here searching for clarity, healing, release, or just a reason to breathe deeper. And while science has yet to “prove” vortexes are real, I’ve also never seen a peer-reviewed study on love. Doesn’t mean it’s not real. I’m not here to convince anyone. I’m...

The 20's Could Be Your Best Decade Yet

What do you want to create in your life over the next 10 years?   Are you in search of more love, more abundance, more fun, more adventure, enlightenment?   What holds you back?   Have you chosen your theme for 2020 yet?   "2020 is my year of _____" .   It all begins with setting intentions.Here in Sedona we start every Soul Adventure with a Powerful Intention and light a candle.   When our clients get real about what they’re intending to create by their experience in Sedona the magic begins.   By the time we see them on their last day most have not only achieved their intended goals but surpassed them and surprised themselves along the way. Now is the time to set your intentions for 2020 or the entire decade if you wish.   You may want to actually write them down. Studies have shown that written goals are far more likely to be met than the ones we just think to ourselves.   Take a moment before the new year arrives ...

June 23, 2019 Judgments are Toxic to the love joy and happiness in your life.

Whenever I tell myself anything should be different than it is or think that someone shouldn’t be the way they are. I will feel pain.   Resistance equals pain and when I resist what is I hurt.   So often I find my clients and sometimes myself habitually in a loop of resistance and negativity.   It’s like drinking poison and waiting for the person I’m judging to get sick. It doesn’t work and the more poison I swallow or the more I resist what is the sicker I get.   So why is it that we choose such a failed strategy over and over again?   I think there may be something addictive about the pain and suffering that comes from resistance. My grandfather used to say “It’s not what happens to you in life, it’s what you do with what happens to you that counts.”   My parents like to say that “the world is fundamentally neutral and that our judgements determine how we feel and perceive everything.’ The moment I say “You shouldn’t be that way!” ...