Skip to main content

Points Made With Pain Are Never Really Made

 


People come to me carrying a sentence.


Something somebody said to them years ago. Sometimes decades. And they can tell me everything about it. Where they were standing. What the room smelled like. What their own face did. How long they cried afterward and whether anybody noticed.


And then I'll ask what the point was.


Most of them can't tell me.


The pain landed. The message didn't.


I've seen that enough times now that it changed what I think about honesty.


The delivery costs you the content


Here's what I mean, practically.


Somebody decides they have something important to say. They believe it's true and they believe it needs saying and they're probably right on both counts. So they gather themselves and they say it, and they use the sharpest available version because they want it to finally get through.


And what happens inside the other person is not comprehension. It's injury.


Injury produces defense, and defense is deaf. Nothing gets in after that point. Not that day, not that year.


So the person delivering it walks away thinking, well, I said it. And the person receiving it walks away with a wound and no information.


Twenty years later they can still describe the wound.


That's the part I'd underline. The sharp version doesn't work better. It works worse. It's not a more effective tool that happens to cost more. It's a less effective tool that also costs more.


Hard is not the same as hurtful


There's a distinction here I want to be careful about, because I'm not arguing for a life where nobody says anything real.


Hard is: I need to tell you something and I don't think you're going to like it.


Hurtful is: I've decided that the wounding is part of the delivery.


The first one can be received. It might take a while. There might be a bad night. But it can land.


The second one can't, because the person on the other end is no longer listening to content. They're absorbing an impact.


And here's the tell. Listen for this sentence:


I know this is going to hurt you, but.


That's not a warning. That's a precursor. Somebody has already run the calculation, already concluded that it will wound, and decided to proceed anyway.


You're allowed to stop them there. Right there, before the but.


Then don't say it that way. Find another way. There's always another way.


That's not a fragile request. It's an accurate one. You cannot hear anything through pain. Nobody can. You're just telling them how a human being actually works.


Now the other side, because this cuts both ways


If you stop there, you've got half a teaching and it's the dangerous half.


Because there's an equal and opposite trap, and I see it in just as many people.


It's the person who becomes so careful that nothing true ever gets said. Every sentence gets checked, softened, hedged, postponed. And eventually you have two people in a house being enormously considerate to each other, and nothing real passing between them in either direction.


That's not kindness. That's a slow evacuation.


You are not responsible for everyone's feelings. You can't be. If someone is genuinely upset by a true thing said with care, that's theirs to carry, and contorting yourself so no one ever feels anything is its own kind of self-erasure.


So where's the line?


The line is aim


Here's the cleanest test I've found.


You're not required to protect someone from the truth. You are required not to aim.


If you know a particular word will land like a blow, and you use it anyway because it will finally get through, that's not honesty. That's a weapon with a justification attached.


I watched somebody do this recently. They chose a specific word, knowing exactly what it meant to the person hearing it, knowing exactly what it would do. And afterward they called it a bad technique and moved on.


It wasn't a technique. It was aim.


The truth didn't need that word. The truth had a dozen other words available. That one got chosen because it would land hardest.


Once you've noticed yourself doing it, you can't un-notice it.


What to say


If you're on the receiving end, here's the sentence.


I'm not asking you to protect my feelings. I'm asking you not to be intentionally hurtful. If you don't know another way to say it, go find one. There is one.


That last part matters, and I mean it literally. If someone tells you there's no other way to say the thing, they haven't looked. Somewhere out in the world is a person who could say that exact truth in a way that doesn't wound. Go find how they did it.


And if you're the one with something hard to say, the question isn't whether to say it.


It's whether you've picked your words for their accuracy or for their impact.


What I'd want you to leave with


The people who come to me carrying a sentence from twenty years ago are not weak people. They're ordinary people, and I'd guess you're carrying one too.


Somebody said a thing to you once. You still feel it. And if I asked you what they were actually trying to tell you, there's a decent chance you'd have to think about it.


That's the cost, and the person who said it never paid any of it.


So say the hard thing. Say it today if it needs saying.


Just don't aim.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Vortex Energy Real? A Soul Guide’s Honest Take After 30 Years in Sedona

  I first came to Sedona in 1990, long before it became a spiritual buzzword. Back then, the red rocks called to me the way a waterfall does—something bigger, older, and wiser than words. Locals spoke about “vortexes” the way you’d talk about the wind. Not to impress anyone. Just to point toward something you could feel . They told me the shape and mineral makeup of the land caused the Earth’s natural magnetic and electric energy to swirl in these places. Not in a spooky way—just like tuning forks or resonant chambers. If you were out of alignment, you might feel it like a jolt or a rush. But if you were in tune with the frequency? You’d just feel still. Like peace had pulled up a chair. Over the years, I’ve seen thousands come here searching for clarity, healing, release, or just a reason to breathe deeper. And while science has yet to “prove” vortexes are real, I’ve also never seen a peer-reviewed study on love. Doesn’t mean it’s not real. I’m not here to convince anyone. I’m...

The 20's Could Be Your Best Decade Yet

What do you want to create in your life over the next 10 years?   Are you in search of more love, more abundance, more fun, more adventure, enlightenment?   What holds you back?   Have you chosen your theme for 2020 yet?   "2020 is my year of _____" .   It all begins with setting intentions.Here in Sedona we start every Soul Adventure with a Powerful Intention and light a candle.   When our clients get real about what they’re intending to create by their experience in Sedona the magic begins.   By the time we see them on their last day most have not only achieved their intended goals but surpassed them and surprised themselves along the way. Now is the time to set your intentions for 2020 or the entire decade if you wish.   You may want to actually write them down. Studies have shown that written goals are far more likely to be met than the ones we just think to ourselves.   Take a moment before the new year arrives ...

June 23, 2019 Judgments are Toxic to the love joy and happiness in your life.

Whenever I tell myself anything should be different than it is or think that someone shouldn’t be the way they are. I will feel pain.   Resistance equals pain and when I resist what is I hurt.   So often I find my clients and sometimes myself habitually in a loop of resistance and negativity.   It’s like drinking poison and waiting for the person I’m judging to get sick. It doesn’t work and the more poison I swallow or the more I resist what is the sicker I get.   So why is it that we choose such a failed strategy over and over again?   I think there may be something addictive about the pain and suffering that comes from resistance. My grandfather used to say “It’s not what happens to you in life, it’s what you do with what happens to you that counts.”   My parents like to say that “the world is fundamentally neutral and that our judgements determine how we feel and perceive everything.’ The moment I say “You shouldn’t be that way!” ...