Skip to main content

You Never Have My Back

 



There's a fight I've watched a few hundred times now, in a few hundred living rooms, and it always runs the same way.

She says: You never have my back.

And he does the most reasonable thing a person can do. He checks the claim.

I had your back Tuesday when your mother went off. I had your back Thursday when our son tried to slide one past us. I had your back at the school thing in March.

Every one of those is true. He isn't making them up. He could produce witnesses.

And every single one of them makes it worse.

Because by about the third example, she says: You're not listening to me.

Which, from where he's standing, is insane. He's been listening so hard he built a timeline.

So now he's exasperated. And out it comes: I will never be able to please you. I guess I'll never be enough.

And there it is. Two people who love each other, both feeling unseen, both certain the other one started it.


The word "never" is not a claim

Here's what got missed in the first four seconds.

She didn't say you have never once in our marriage had my back. That's what he heard. That's the version he answered.

What she said was you never have my back, and in the language people actually speak, that means something completely different. It means: right now, in this, I feel alone.

Absolutes are almost never about frequency. They're the sound of a feeling that has gotten big enough to fill the whole room. Always and never are what powerlessness sounds like coming out of a mouth.

That's why the counter-evidence lands so badly. He's arguing with a number she never gave.

And here's the part that stings a little. When he lists the Tuesdays and the Thursdays, he isn't only defending himself. He's telling her, without meaning to, that her feeling is a factual error. That if she were being accurate, she wouldn't feel this way.

Nobody has ever felt better after being informed their feeling was inaccurate.


Feelings are not right or wrong

I want to be plain about this, because I think it's one of the most useful things I know.

A feeling isn't a proposition. It isn't true or false. It isn't fair or unfair. It doesn't have a burden of proof and it isn't subject to appeal.

It's weather.

You can stand in the rain and explain that the forecast said sunny. The rain does not care.

So arguing about a feeling is genuinely one of the silliest things human beings do, and we do it constantly, in the rooms where we're most loved. Telling someone not to feel something is a strange thing to say out loud and we say it all day.

You shouldn't be upset about that. That's not something to worry about. You're overreacting.

None of that has ever worked. Not once, in the history of people.

And here's the deeper thing. Feelings don't get to be fixed. They get to be felt.

They come, they have their way with us, and then they go. Once they've gone, we can reason all we want. Reason is excellent. It's just useless while the weather is still happening.


The same fight, different conversation

Now watch what happens if he catches the word.

She says: It feels like you don't have my back.

And he says four words.

Tell me more about that.

And here comes the actual thing, which was never the Tuesdays at all.

This morning I woke up feeling off. Real headache. I asked you for help and you didn't pack the kids' lunches. So I stood there feeling awful, making lunches, and it just felt like I couldn't count on you.

There it is. One morning. One headache. Two lunches.

He says: I'm sorry, honey. I can see how you'd feel that way. And I really do want to have your back.

She says: I know. And you do, mostly. Sometimes it just doesn't feel like it.

Same issue. Same marriage. Same two people. Nobody won and nobody had to.

Notice he didn't agree that he's a man who never has her back. He didn't confess to anything. He didn't promise to be different.

He just let the feeling be a real thing that she was really having.

That's the whole move.


And then there's "why"

One more, and it's the smallest change with the biggest return.

The word why will take a hard conversation and put it in a ditch, almost every time.

Why don't you ever have my back? Why are you never satisfied? Why are you attacking me?

Try saying any of those out loud and notice what your body does. There's an accusation folded inside the grammar. Why asks a person to justify themselves, and a person justifying themselves is a person who has stopped listening.

It also sounds like every adult who ever asked you why you did that, in a voice that already knew the answer.

So here's the substitute, and it costs nothing.

Repeat their words back as a question.

I don't have your back?

That's it. Same information requested. None of the trigger.

And something else happens in that sentence, which is that she hears her own words come back in your voice, which is often the first moment she realizes they were bigger than what she meant.

You'll get the why. You just won't have asked for it.


What to try this week

Catch the absolute. When you hear always or never, hear the feeling instead of the claim. Something is big right now. That's the message.

Skip the timeline. Whatever list you're assembling, set it down. It's accurate and it won't help.

Four words. Tell me more about that. Then actually wait.

Trade why for the echo. Say their words back as a question and let the answer come.

None of it requires you to agree with anything. None of it requires you to be wrong.

That's the part people can't believe until they try it. You don't have to lose the argument. You just have to stop having one about the weather.


One more thing

The hardest part of all this is that you have your own feeling while they're having theirs.

Their thing lands in you and makes something of its own. Small, or furious, or cornered, or so tired you can't stand it. And while that one is still loud, four words are not going to come out of you, no matter how good the advice was.

So I built something for the middle of it.

You put in what they said. It helps you find the feeling underneath it. Then it does the harder half, which is naming what it left in you, feeling that one all the way through, and then reading their sentence again.

Same words. Different you. That's usually the whole difference.

Free, nothing to sign up for, about ten minutes.

feelings.trancebreakers.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Vortex Energy Real? A Soul Guide’s Honest Take After 30 Years in Sedona

  I first came to Sedona in 1990, long before it became a spiritual buzzword. Back then, the red rocks called to me the way a waterfall does—something bigger, older, and wiser than words. Locals spoke about “vortexes” the way you’d talk about the wind. Not to impress anyone. Just to point toward something you could feel . They told me the shape and mineral makeup of the land caused the Earth’s natural magnetic and electric energy to swirl in these places. Not in a spooky way—just like tuning forks or resonant chambers. If you were out of alignment, you might feel it like a jolt or a rush. But if you were in tune with the frequency? You’d just feel still. Like peace had pulled up a chair. Over the years, I’ve seen thousands come here searching for clarity, healing, release, or just a reason to breathe deeper. And while science has yet to “prove” vortexes are real, I’ve also never seen a peer-reviewed study on love. Doesn’t mean it’s not real. I’m not here to convince anyone. I’m...

The 20's Could Be Your Best Decade Yet

What do you want to create in your life over the next 10 years?   Are you in search of more love, more abundance, more fun, more adventure, enlightenment?   What holds you back?   Have you chosen your theme for 2020 yet?   "2020 is my year of _____" .   It all begins with setting intentions.Here in Sedona we start every Soul Adventure with a Powerful Intention and light a candle.   When our clients get real about what they’re intending to create by their experience in Sedona the magic begins.   By the time we see them on their last day most have not only achieved their intended goals but surpassed them and surprised themselves along the way. Now is the time to set your intentions for 2020 or the entire decade if you wish.   You may want to actually write them down. Studies have shown that written goals are far more likely to be met than the ones we just think to ourselves.   Take a moment before the new year arrives ...

June 23, 2019 Judgments are Toxic to the love joy and happiness in your life.

Whenever I tell myself anything should be different than it is or think that someone shouldn’t be the way they are. I will feel pain.   Resistance equals pain and when I resist what is I hurt.   So often I find my clients and sometimes myself habitually in a loop of resistance and negativity.   It’s like drinking poison and waiting for the person I’m judging to get sick. It doesn’t work and the more poison I swallow or the more I resist what is the sicker I get.   So why is it that we choose such a failed strategy over and over again?   I think there may be something addictive about the pain and suffering that comes from resistance. My grandfather used to say “It’s not what happens to you in life, it’s what you do with what happens to you that counts.”   My parents like to say that “the world is fundamentally neutral and that our judgements determine how we feel and perceive everything.’ The moment I say “You shouldn’t be that way!” ...