What if the person your partner misses is also the person you miss being?
I stumbled onto an idea in a coaching conversation recently that hasn't left me alone.
It started with a coin.
Imagine holding one in your hand.
On one side is the version of you that people tend to fall in love with.
Maybe you're playful on that side.
Warm.
Curious.
Affectionate.
Adventurous.
Confident.
Generous.
Present.
You laugh easily. You listen. You create. You flirt. You notice things. You feel alive.
Then flip the coin.
There's another side.
This is the version that tends to appear when you feel threatened.
Maybe you're defensive.
Controlling.
Critical.
Withdrawn.
Anxious.
Cold.
Demanding.
Unavailable.
Still you.
Same coin.
And that distinction matters.
Because I've spent enough time working with couples to notice something strange:
We frequently fall in love with one side of someone and then spend years trying to eliminate the other.
The Package Deal
Think about someone you love.
Some of the qualities you adore probably have another side.
You love their independence.
Until they don't need you in the way you want to be needed.
You love their sensitivity.
Until everything seems to hurt their feelings.
You love their ambition.
Until work gets more attention than you do.
You love their spontaneity.
Until you desperately need a plan.
You love their intelligence.
Until you're arguing with them and suddenly feel like you're being cross-examined by the Supreme Court.
You love their strength.
Until you're the one standing opposite it.
We want the heads without the tails.
Unfortunately, humans are not sold that way.
We're package deals.
And there's another layer.
The side of your partner's coin you struggle with often activates the side of your coin they struggle with.
This isn't merely poetic. Relationship psychology has long described repeating negative cycles in which one person's protective reaction triggers the other's, which then reinforces the first person's reaction.
One person feels ignored.
They criticize.
The other feels attacked.
They withdraw.
The withdrawal confirms the first person's fear:
See? I don't matter.
So they push harder.
Which confirms the second person's fear:
See? Nothing I do is ever enough.
So they withdraw further.
Two frightened nervous systems begin producing exactly the evidence each was afraid of finding.
And eventually both people look across the room and think:
Who IS this person?
Here's the uncomfortable answer.
They're probably thinking exactly the same thing.
Waiting for the Other Coin to Flip
This is where couples can remain stuck for years.
I'll be warmer when you're nicer.
I'll be affectionate when you stop criticizing me.
I'll listen when you stop lecturing me.
I'll make you a priority when being around you feels better.
I'll stop complaining when you make me a priority.
I'll soften when you soften.
I'll come closer when you come closer.
I'll put down my weapon immediately after you put down yours.
And both people wait.
Each believes the other person has the lever controlling their emotional state.
You made me angry.
You made me shut down.
You made me feel unimportant.
You made me feel rejected.
Certainly other people affect us. Intimate relationships can activate old wounds with astonishing precision. Research and clinical models of couples dynamics describe how partners' vulnerabilities and protective responses can become interlocking cycles.
But there is still a space between what someone does and who I choose to become in response.
Sometimes it's a tiny space.
But it's mine.
And that brings me to the realization that stopped me.
What If It's the Same Side?
I was thinking about two people caught in exactly this kind of cycle.
Each desperately wanted the other person's good side back.
And then it hit me.
The side of each person their partner most loved was also the side of themselves they most enjoyed being.
Read that again.
The person your partner misses...
might also be the person you miss.
That changes the entire proposition.
Because now I'm not asking:
How can I behave differently so my relationship gets better?
I'm asking:
Who do I want to be while I'm living my life?
That's an entirely different question.
You Don't Turn the Coin for Them
Suppose I love being curious.
Then I don't have to wait until you're pleasant before I'm curious.
Suppose I love being affectionate.
I don't have to wait until you've behaved correctly enough to access my affection.
Suppose I like myself when I'm playful.
I don't need you to create the conditions under which I'm allowed to play.
Suppose I value compassion.
Then compassion isn't something I dispense as a reward when you deserve it.
It's part of who I've decided to be.
This doesn't mean tolerating mistreatment.
It doesn't mean abandoning boundaries.
It doesn't mean remaining in an unhealthy relationship.
It doesn't mean pretending someone's behavior doesn't hurt.
You can love unconditionally and still place very real conditions on participation in your life.
Love can be unconditional. Relationship cannot always be.
You can say:
I love you.
I understand you.
I can even have compassion for why you behave this way.
And you may not treat me this way.
Those ideas can occupy the same room.
Stop Outsourcing Yourself
I think this reaches far beyond romantic relationships.
How often do we outsource the version of ourselves we experience to the people around us?
If everyone appreciates me, I become confident.
If someone criticizes me, I become defensive.
If someone is warm, I become warm.
If someone withdraws, I become anxious.
If someone is angry, I lose my peace.
If someone doesn't like me, I start examining myself for defects.
We're handing out remote controls to our own nervous systems and then becoming furious about what other people do with them.
What if we took them back?
Not to become detached.
To become free.
Come Home to Yourself
There's a version of you that you really enjoy being.
You've met them.
Maybe you've even wondered where they went.
They didn't go anywhere.
They're still on the other side of the coin.
And perhaps the work isn't convincing someone else to flip first.
Maybe the practice is noticing:
I'm becoming someone I don't enjoy being right now.
Then asking:
Who would I rather be?
Not:
What response will make them change?
Not:
What response will save the relationship?
Not even:
What is the spiritually correct response?
Just:
Who do I want to experience myself being in this moment?
That's an extraordinarily powerful question because nobody else gets to answer it.
And here's the lovely possibility.
When you turn your coin, something may shift in the other person.
Warmth sometimes invites warmth.
Curiosity can interrupt defensiveness.
Compassion can soften fear.
Presence can make connection safer.
But that's not the bargain.
Because if you become loving solely to make someone else become loving, you're still trying to control them.
The deeper freedom is:
I choose this side because this is where I like living.
If something changes between us, beautiful.
If it doesn't, I still haven't abandoned myself.
A Question to Sit With
Think about the version of yourself you like best.
Not the most productive you.
Not the most successful.
Not the version everybody applauds.
The version you genuinely enjoy being.
What are they like?
Warm?
Funny?
Bold?
Tender?
Curious?
Creative?
Grounded?
Playful?
Peaceful?
Loving?
Now think about the people who know and love you best.
Isn't that often the version they love too?
Maybe they're not asking you to become somebody else.
Maybe somewhere underneath all the noise, they're saying:
I miss you.
And perhaps some part of you has been saying exactly the same thing.
So the next time somebody you love flips to the side of their coin that drives you absolutely crazy, notice your hand reaching for your own coin.
And before you flip it, ask:
Which side of myself do I want to live from right now?
Not for them.
For you.
Because maybe the most important relationship transformation doesn't begin when we finally get someone else to change.
Maybe it begins when we stop giving them responsibility for deciding who we are going to be.

Comments
Post a Comment