The sensation was so ordinary I almost missed it.
Just a number on a screen. A feeling in my chest that most people would never notice, let alone think twice about. But I've spent enough years paying attention to my own body that I caught it, and once I caught it, I couldn't unsee it.
A doctor told me what I needed to do.
He had the training. The credentials. Years of experience reading exactly this kind of situation. He looked at the evidence in front of him, weighed it against everything he'd learned, and made his recommendation with real confidence. He wasn't wrong to be confident. People like him are usually right, and that's exactly why it's so hard to disagree with them.
And my body told me something different.
Not once. Three times, with numbers I couldn't argue with. Every time I did what the expert recommended, I felt worse. Every time I trusted the quieter signal coming from inside my own skin, I felt better. The pattern wasn't subtle. It just wasn't what I'd been told to expect.
So I had a choice to make, and it wasn't a comfortable one.
Defer to the authority, because he genuinely does know more than I do about this in general. Or trust the data my own body kept handing me, over and over, whether I wanted to hear it or not.
Here's the part that made this hard. It's not that I didn't trust him. It's that some part of me was scared of what it meant to disagree. Scared of being the difficult patient. Scared that maybe I was wrong and just didn't want to admit it. Scared that questioning someone with more knowledge than me was, at bottom, a kind of arrogance.
But staying quiet and compliant wasn't actually humility. It was just fear wearing humility's clothes.
I didn't throw out the expertise. I still listened. I still asked questions. I still valued what years of training let someone see that I genuinely cannot see on my own. That part matters, and I don't want to pretend it doesn't. Expertise is real. It's earned. It usually deserves deference.
But I also stopped pretending that expertise automatically trumps experience.
Here's what I'm learning. Someone can know more than you about the general case and still be wrong about you specifically. The map is not the terrain. The textbook is not your body. The theory is not your marriage, your career, your kids, your life. General knowledge describes patterns across thousands of people. You are describing a sample size of one, and you are the only person on earth with access to that data.
This isn't only about doctors. It's about the coach who tells you the plan should be working. The advisor who says the numbers say to stay the course. The relative who insists they know what's best for your marriage because they've been married longer. The mentor who's certain you should take the promotion because that's what ambition looks like.
Somewhere, right now, you probably have your own version of this. A place where an expert, or a parent, or a culture full of confident voices, told you what should be true for you, and some quieter part of you has been trying to say, actually, that's not what's happening in here.
Respecting expertise doesn't mean overriding your own evidence. It means holding both at once. Taking in what someone else knows, and refusing to abandon what you know, especially when your own life keeps handing you the same answer again and again.
Your body has been trying to tell you something for a while now. So has your gut, about that relationship, that job, that decision everyone says is right for you.
You don't have to choose between respecting expertise and trusting yourself.
You just have to stop mistaking confidence for correctness, even when it comes from someone with more letters after their name than you have.

Comments
Post a Comment